Twenty-nine years management and training experience. Extensive healthcare experience with areas of focus in:
· Program Design
· Medical Documentation
· Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease Educator and Trainer
· Presenter and group facilitator; all levels
· Project Management
· Team Management
· Results Oriented
· Proficient with technology in Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft applications
· Program Start-Ups
· Newsletter Editor
· Curriculum Designer
· Budget Planner
· Restructured entire department to include: increased attendance in quality programs for geriatric population by 85%. Exceptional improvement in Holleran Survey for programs and Employee Satisfaction Survey with a margin level increase of 10 – 30 points
· Wrote and designed Dementia curriculum for enterprise-wide training program resulting in increased Resident and Employee Satisfaction scores by 25% in delivery of care.
· Provided Needs Analysis assessments to Administrators of various communities resulting in quality programs and increased satisfaction by 75%.
· Designed, proposed, and received 17 passenger wheelchair vehicle for the transport of wheelchair-bound seniors to community events, shopping, family events, etc. resulting in improvement of quality of life for 50% of geriatric population in long term care facility.
· Designed, organized, produced, and implemented community television show for the sole purpose of awareness and marketing of programs in healthcare facility resulting in community participation by 90% across continuum of care.
· Facilitated support and family groups on the etiology, stages, behaviors, and education of Alzheimer’s disease and Dementia resulting in awareness and better understanding of the disease process and team collaboration with staff caregivers.
· Formulated and owner of consulting company, Faithful Solutions 4 U, LLC, providing customized in-home training and education to families and professional caregivers impacted by Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia, as well as providing community resources resulting in better delivery of care.
ERICKSON RETIREMENT COMMUNITIES 2001 to 2009
Assistant Director, Erickson Way Experience Team, Corporate (2008 – 2009)
· Responsible for project management and development of various Erickson community initiatives
· Provided Customer Service and Dementia training to all Erickson community staff
· Implemented the roll-out of Erickson Way Experience Values for branding of company
· Participated in Project coordination and collaboration with HR and Workforce Strategy team.
Mental Health and Wellness Program Manager, Corporate (2005 – 2008)
· Conducted monthly Dementia classes as corporate instructor enterprise- wide to all staff
· Developed and wrote Dementia curriculum and manual for Train the Trainer implementation at all Erickson campuses.
· Organized and co-developed policy manual, created PowerPoint presentations, and implemented Intermissions program to serve as a respite for residents from Independent community with cognitive decline and memory loss at all Erickson sites
Peer Team Leader Program Manager, Community/Corporate (2003 – 2005)
· Trained and supervised, and conducted new employee orientation to all Program Managers employed at Erickson in healthcare division.
· Trained and supervised Program Managers implementation of Dementia Training program campus-wide
· Presented initiatives and project development to Leadership and Executive Team.
· Prepared corporate monthly reports on community progress
Program Manager, Oak Crest Village, Parkville, Md., (2001 – 2005)
· Provided requested dementia mini- in-service training to nursing staff and other disciplines on designated units of healthcare facility in Skilled and Assisted Living locations
· Designed, produced, implemented and hosted a television show, “The Garden Variety”, to showcase and market programs and awareness of Healthcare facilities at Erickson Communities.
· Restructured entire department to include: mirroring quality programs as held in independent community. Reviewed staffing patterns and implemented as necessary for dementia programs.
· Hired and supervised qualified staff with dementia experience for Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing facility housing 375 geriatric residents. Implemented sensory programs, person-centered programs, individualized and one to one programs, social events, staff education, and completed documentation requirements.
· Managed and monitored monthly and annual departmental budget.
· Provided PowerPoint presentations to community organizations, volunteers, and family groups of Independent Living on various topics of specialized programs in healthcare facilities.
Dementia Instructor, Communities (2002 – 2005)
· Conducted Dementia training to Interdisciplinary Teams across Erickson continuum
· Provided coping strategies to families and caregivers of persons affected by dementia/ Alzheimer’s Disease within apartments and in work settings.
Morningside House Assisted Living, Waldorf, Md.
Consultant 2000 – 2001
· Provided recommendations of staffing patterns to Administrator
· Reviewed existing programs and made recommendations for revisions
· Conducted team meetings
· Provided Dementia training
Almost Family Adult Day Care Center, Lanham, Md.
Program Manager, Consultant, Acting Director 2000 – 2001
· Directed overall daily operations of Center
· Prepared and assured provision of daily meals for clients
· Secured Nursing staff from Agencies for daily operation of center
· Conducted team meetings and family meetings
· Implemented and monitored specialized programs for clients; including Dementia training to staff
· Supervised the transport of clients to and from center; including driving vehicles
· Assured operation of Security System and overall safety of center
Grant Park Care Center, Long Term Care, Washington, D.C.
Therapeutic Recreation Therapy Director 1983 – 2000
· Directed start up of major department for 300 bed long-term care nursing facility.
· Developed, wrote, and implemented policies and procedures.
· Developed, designed and implemented daily activities for geriatric population.
· Hired and trained staff.
· Conducted employee in-services and training sessions on various topics, including Dementia care.
· Maintained deficiency free department for 17 years.
· Conducted family team meetings
· Marketed programs and facility information to surrounding community
· Knowledge of federal and local licensure requirements in long-term care.
National Centers for Long Term Capitol Health Care Center, Washington, D.C.
Consultant 1983- 1983
· Assisted with closure of facility and placement of residents
· Conducted staff In-services in Dementia care.
EDUCATION and TRAINING:
Bachelor of Science: Therapeutic Recreation/ Health, Lincoln University, 1980
Certificate: The Gerontological Institute, The Aging Process, New Jersey, 1986
Certificate: Alzheimer Association, “Train the Trainer”, Greater Maryland Chapter, 2003, 2004
Certificate: Dementia Education, Instructor, Oak Crest Village, 2002
Certificate: Edna Gates Conference on Dementia, University of Michigan, 2001, 2002
Certificate: “Train the Trainer” for Alzheimer’s Association, Maryland Chapter, 2006
Master’s Degree Program: Applied Gerontology, Towson University, 2007
Certified Alzheimer’s Educator, National Certification Board for Alzheimer Educators, 2009
Member of Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, 2009
REFERENCES AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST
GERIATRIC PROGRAM DIRECTOR /DEMENTIA TRAINER & EDUCATOR